Pages

Friday, February 16, 2018

Haiti Immersion... Day 2 - Questions and Stories

The tales for today need to start from the end. After dinner at St. Joseph's, we gathered with all the groups on the roof. The rain pitter pattered on the tin above as Erin Murphy, the HTF director, gave us the agenda for the coming day. Pastor Rick and Harriet Barger, founders of HTF, gave some words of faith and encouragement for the days ahead. Everyone mingled and had excited conversations.

Based on what Erin and the Bargers had to say, this is the thought forming that may frame my experience in Haiti. There are two stories that are told.... the story of the world and the story of Jesus. Which will we listen to?

I could write tonight about driving through the streets of Port-au-Prince gazing at animals grazing in the trash lining the street. Or I could look a little farther and see the beautiful palm trees and banana trees standing tall on the roadside.

I could write about the people walking in dusty shoes carrying burdensome loads on their heads. Or I could write about seeing their faces light up with bright smiles as they greet their friends on the corner.

I could write about all of the problems I see here. Or I could write about how HTF is in long term relationship with grassroots Haitian organizations that are looking for solutions.

Which story would you rather hear? Which story is the world telling? Which story is Jesus telling?

Heavy, I know.

Just as I am... I will let you stew on that tonight. It is getting late and my alarm will ring early. I'll share about the partners we visited in the morning. Bonswa.



For more info about Haitian Timoun Foundation... www.htflive.org

No comments:

Post a Comment