Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Haiti Immersion... Day 5 - The Beach

Being immersed in another culture does things to people. For some it creates anxiety and vulnerability. Others it may stir a sense of adventure. For me... I am pressed into discernment. What is God up to in Haiti and how am I being drawn to respond?

Big questions.

Really big questions.

I don't have fully formed answers. After all, one... we are only half way through this experience and two... do you really ever completely answer those questions?

Tonight we visited two beaches. The first was sandy and the waves were crashing on the shore. We could walk along the edge while being lulled into a rhythmic stroll. Looking over my shoulder my eyes followed palm tree after palm tree waving in the ocean breeze. It was beautiful. At the same time it was hard.




Surrounding us were boys and young men selling trinkets and art. Beautiful pieces that we had already seen time and time again. Their voices begging us to come look at their wares. I wonder, was my purchase the reason they would eat that day? Would they leave that beach at night with a home and family to return to? Or did they live on the street scraping by to feed themselves? I don't know. So many questions. Often no answers.



The second beach we went to was at a newly constructed resort. This time a rocky beach, but with the same beautiful palm trees swaying in the breeze. As the sun melted behind the mountain we ate dinner out on the back patio area. This time there were no boys peddling their trinkets. While it was peaceful and low stress, it also seemed... sterile.




Grilled Fish

Lobster

Conch


The blanket of night covered us while we finished dinner. Stars popped into the sky brighter than I have ever seen. The waves grabbed my attention and I went to sit on the concrete wall next to the rocky beach. It was dark. The rhythm of the waves provided a pattern in the background of my thoughts. My eyes lifted to the sky. The milky way flowed through the pinpoints of light above. A cool breeze refreshed my weary skin as I sat in silence.

The waves hitting the rocks of the beach are new each time. Yet, waves have continued to hit that beach since the formation of this island. The light from the stars may be millions of light years old by the time it reaches my eyes. Yet stars are created and stars will die out as well.

I find it extremely ironic that I am typing these thoughts on the third floor balcony of the hotel. Yet, meanwhile in the bar area below, Dust in the Wind by Kansas is playing on a never ending loop.  The waves, the stars, the breeze and even the song... they all remind me that I am one small speck in the vast universe. We are each one small speck. Yet, what we do with our short time matters.

It matters if we are generous with others. It matters if we are kind. It matters if we live into our status as loved children of God. And it certainly matters if we treat others with love and dignity because they, too, are loved children of God.

The people of Haiti are loved children of God. They matter. Their lives matter. Their families matter. Their education matters. Their health matters. Their work matters. Their future matters.

The future of the people of Haiti matters.

God is calling? Through the wind, the waves, the stars, the smiles, the hugs, the high fives, the faces... 

God is calling. 

Are we listening?

And more importantly are we willing to act?


For more info about Haitian Timoun Foundation... www.htflive.org

No comments:

Post a Comment