Pages

Friday, February 9, 2018

3rd Time's a Charm... Haiti T minus 6 days

It's almost here.  The Haiti Immersion Trip.  If there was ever an event that was a long time in coming... THIS is it.  I having been preparing for this experience for over a year and a half. 

To make an incredibly long story shorter, this immersion trip was supposed to happen in October of 2016.  However, there was no way to foresee Haiti being ravaged by hurricane Matthew on the same day we were to arrive.  Cancelled. 

Fast forward to September of 2017.  Again, our team was slated to head toward Haiti.  However, another hurricane prevented us from flying out of the United States.  Ironic, right?  Cancelled.

Well folks, February 15th is the day.  There are no freak, out of season, hurricanes in the forecast.  Believe me, as silly as it sounds.... I looked.  The odds of me being able to board a plane flying to Port Au Prince Haiti next week are clear.  It's finally happening!

As I pack for the this trip (for the 3rd time), my thoughts are racing and the excitement is bubbling up again.  There has been ample opportunity to consider what this experience has in store.  This time, the phrases that dominate the forefront of my mind are... "What is God up to?" and "How am I called to be a part of it?"

What IS God up to?  What is God up to in Haiti?  In the people of Haiti?  Within the others that will be immersed in Haitian culture next week?  What is God up to in all of this?

How am I called to be a part of it?  What is my role in this?  Observer?  Story teller?  Advocate?  Listener?  Partner?  Something else?  How am I being called to respond to this experience?

Hmmmmm... I imagine that these two questions will be dancing in my mind for quite some time to come.  Continue to check out my blog to see where this goes.  Who knows, maybe you'll end up asking the same questions as well.  It will definitely be a journey and I'm so glad I'm not alone.



For more info about Haitian Timoun Foundation... www.htflive.org

No comments:

Post a Comment