Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Five Years... Looking Back

Drive safely, my friends.  It was five years ago today.  Life changed in an instant. 

Today, I could think about how the front of my van was unrecognizable.  Instead, I’ll think about the joy it has been to teach my daughters how to drive.

I could wallow in pity around my life-altering injuries.  Instead, I’ll give thanks that I can walk on my own.

I could reminisce about the endless months of physical therapy.  Instead, I’ll look for ways to continue to improve my health, mobility, and well-being.

I could fret over the PTSD that still peeks through to haunt me.  Instead, I’ll appreciate my therapist, the endless support she gives, and the opportunity to grow in my understanding of myself.

I could be frustrated about the gaps in my memory due to medication and trauma.  Instead, I’ll look for new opportunities to create more memories with Kevin and the girls as our family grows into a new stage of life.

I could be angry about the extreme anxiety and depression of the three years it took this case to go through court.  Instead, I’ll choose compassion for those who lack adequate health coverage and advocate for every person’s right to medical and mental health care.

There are still days when it is easier to hold on to the hurt, frustration, and anger.  However, I am grateful that I can look back over the last five years and see how I’ve grown through this adversity.


Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to the place I am at now.  It isn’t perfect.  However, looking back, it’s a good place to be in this moment. 


A Journey, But Not Alone: Recovery - Wheels, Walkers, Canes, and Shoes (ajourneybutnotalone.blogspot.com)

A Journey, But Not Alone: 365 Days Around the Sun: An (Incomplete) Inventory of Gratitude (ajourneybutnotalone.blogspot.com)

3 comments:

  1. Forever proud of you and how you faced all these challenges with grit and determination…but never alone❤️‍🩹

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you. And the example you set for both adults and children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Like positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete