Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

"Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" . . . A Lenten Devotion

"Who is my mother?  Who are my brothers?" (Matthew 12:48)

Jesus is speaking to his disciples when his family comes to him wanting to chat.  Jesus has a way of being extraordinarily blunt . . . and this is one of those times.  Jesus bluntly answers, gesturing to his disciples, these are my mother and brothers.  This is one of those examples where we see the community of believers described as a family.  The Body of Christ surrounding us can be compared to a family.  As a community of Christians we may not always agree.  We may not always see eye to eye.  However, we have Christ uniting us as a community.  As a family. 

More than anything I think this hints to what joins us together as a family . . . our adoption into the family of God.  Each of us are chosen by God.  It's not just a circumstance of chance.  God chose each and everyone of us.  He calls us by name to be His children.  He loves us unconditionally and calls us to love others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment