Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" . . . A Lenten Devotion

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27)

Worry can consume us.  Worry can chip away at our sense of peace.  Worry can actually make us physically ill.  We can't extend our life by worrying.  We can't change the future by worrying.  We can't accomplish much good by worrying. 

This is a very hard truth for me to realize at this point in my life.  I have 4 young daughters that are growing up and becoming more and more independent as time goes on.  I can't even imagine what life will be like, and what worry will fill it, when they are teenagers.  I have another daughter that is an ocean and a continent away.  She's in an orphanage waiting for us.  The worry I have for her overflows my very soul sometimes and can't be contained.

There are many times that I must remind myself.  My daughters, all of them, were God's daughters before they were mine.  They are first and foremost children of God.  While I can't be with my girls every step that they take in the world.  God can.  God is.  And, God will always be with them.  I must entrust their lives, and my own life, to God who is both good and great. 

In Matthew 6:34 Jesus tells us, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  So while I calm my worry for today I'm sure the worry for tomorrow is brewing somewhere.  However, taking care of that worry will be a job for tomorrow as well. 

Peace be with you . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment