Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Maundy Thursday and Solidarity

The church youth and I have recently been diving into a Bible study to prepare them for an upcoming youth gathering.  The study moves through the end of Holy Week with the following themes . . . Solidarity, Suffering, Reality and Resurrection.  These themes have really hit home for me this year. 

When he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?  You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.  John 13:14-17
Jesus shows us how to live in solidarity by serving others.  As the Body of Christ we are called into place-sharing with those around us.  In this way we are required to both serve and be served by others in the name of Jesus Christ.  We share equally the responsibility of ministering to one another.  In doing so, we bear the light of Christ to others while still seeing the light reflecting from others. 

I had the honor and privilege once again of witnessing this exchange among the children of my congregation.  For the last eight weeks the children and I have been working to prepare them for their First Communion.  It all culminates in one fantastic night with a Maundy Thursday worship service.  During Holy Communion the children are called forward individually along with their families.  One by one, I gave them the Body of Christ.  Grape juice was poured into their hand painted chalice and they took their first Communion.  In turn, they stood beside me.  I watched as I gave each family member a wafer and then it was dipped into the child's own chalice.  I can not explain the goosebumps.  I watched mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles and grandparents take a wafer and misty eyed hear the words "blood of Christ shed for you" come whispered off the lips of their child.  Holy Ground.  Place sharing.  Solidarity as we ministered to one another to night.

My heart is full and my soul refreshed by the faith of those young ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment